2008年7月10日星期四

wubi...

As a layman in linux world, it’s glad to know there is such a greate tool for linux installation from Windows, i mean Wubi.

Wubi is not the Chinese input method.

Wubi is an officially supported Ubuntu installer for Windows users that can bring you to the Linux world with a single click. Wubi allows you to install and uninstall Ubuntu as any other Windows application, in a simple and safe way. Are you curious about Linux and Ubuntu? Trying them out has never been easier!

I tried to use PC without Windows for a few weeks at home. Frankly, it’s not a good experience for me. Ubuntu is actually better to use than other linux distribution. But in my experience, “better to use” means it is similar to Windows than others. if it’s true, why not use Windows (we have paid for OEM).

Linux should do more to contest PC desktop. When I use linux at home, I am not a software developer, and not a linux fan, I am just a computer user who likes to try different things. In most time, I read, watch, listen, write. I don’t care if it can run on different hardware platforms, I don’t like install software from source(even by apt/rpm/yum), I don’t like that I have to learn much and try more to make a BT client work, I don’t like to take half an hour to search, download, make, install and reboot to just watch an “amazing” desktop 3D effect, and so on… At last, I believe most of people in most of time could agree with me. Of course, I like linux as a server, free and powerful, but not on my desktop at home.

Linux need to be modest. do something like wubi (it’s said fedora 10 will add a similar feature), attract more people to like to try. For linux desktop, there is a huge space to improve.

没有评论: